Saturday, January 2, 2010

~ A Josh update

Well, today Jamie, Tonya, Jimmy, David and I all ventured over to Geisinger to see my cousin Josh who is still in the Shock Trauma/ICU. We weren't sure what to expect, and we only were allowed to go in a few at a time, so Jamie & Tonya went first and they came out and told us kind of what to expect going in there. Well, here are a few updates. First he has been opening his eyes and trying to sit up and pulling at his ventilator for the past few days. So they are trying to keep him drugged up so he rests and leaves the tubes alone. He really looked alot better than what I expected. He had some surgeries this past week and has at least 1 that I know of this next coming week. When Jamie & Tonya went in he was sitting up and trying to pull his tubes out so the nurse was in to give more medicine to keep him from doing so. When David, Jimmy & I went in he was laying back, and had his eyes closed. I bent down right at his face and said "Josh?" and he opened his eyes!! I told him we were there to see him and he moved his hand slightly for me to hold it, so I did. He closed his eyes then, I tryed to talk to him a little, but really wasn't sure what to say. We stayed for awhile then decided to go. We wrote a message on his dry erase board, then I bent down to his head and told him we were leaving and we love him, he moved his hand for me to hold again. I told him we're praying for him, I have people praying all over for him. He squeezed my hand the entire time I was talking to him. I told him it's gonna be a long road, but we're all gonna help him. The main thing is he's here with us, that that was the most important thing. (Of course I could barely get this out because I was starting to cry.) told him again that we loved him and we would come another day to see him, that his Mom and brother and sister would be out.
Boy, it sure was hard to leave him there. To me, it seems as though he hears and understands every word your saying. And that he knows who we are. The part of the brain that's injured is the part that deals with the short term memory and speech, so Praying that it won't be bad...and it may or may not BE bad...only time will tell. I think that him moving and trying to pull the tubes out and moving his good leg, and opening his eyes and squeezing hands is a good sign!! I'm no expert but they said they probably wouldn't even see a change in him for 7-10 days and started opening his eyes on day 4!! So I hope that's a good sign of things to come!! I ask again to put him and our family on your prayer chains and ask that you continue to keep him in your prayers as well. I will try to keep you updated! Thank you everyone!!!!

No comments: